They say that love is in the air during springtime. While that might be true, it is also the time when we love to do a thorough cleaning. So here are a few suggestions of things for seniors and others to put on the checklist this year. Be sure to ask a loved one for help if you need it.
- Organize and clean areas where things tend to inadvertently get collected. Depending on family habits, that could include closets, pantries, under sinks, and in drawers.
- Thoroughly dust and clean windows and window coverings including the panes, frames, blinds, curtains and everything else.
- Move the bed or have someone help you move it completely away from where it now stands so that you can clean the area well.
- Empty the refrigerator and freezer to clean them. Throw out food that is spoiled or suspected as having been in there too long. Reorganize the balance of the food when you put it back.
- Disinfect the washing machine and dishwasher. Vinegar can be used for this.
- Use a damp cloth or a duster on the ceiling fans, air vents, baseboards, and ceiling corners, including those in the bathrooms and laundry room.
- Look for scuff marks and other stains on walls and doors and either clean them or do some light painting if possible.
- Organize bills and other documents and shred those that are no longer needed.
- Be sure to check and/or change the batteries in the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors or other security devices.
At Caring Senior Service we are always ready to help seniors and their families by providing professional advice and services. As you consider ways to give support to your aging parents or relatives, consider including us in your plans. Contact our care team today!